Monday, June 13, 2016

Stardust, Always Interview With Debbie Manber Kupfer



Her story, "The Big C" Can be found in the Stardust, Always Anthology.  
All proceeds benefit St. Jude's Cancer Research.
 
What genre do you read?
I read mostly fantasy and science fiction with the occasional classic, lit fic, or thriller thrown in for variety!
What genres do you write?
My main series, P.A.W.S., is fantasy, but I also like to experiment in other genres for my short stories.
Where else can readers find your work?
All my books including the anthologies I’ve been part of can be found on my Amazon author page.
What drove you to write for this anthology?
I’m a cancer survivor and feel it’s important to share my story with others who might be going through a similar journey.
I also adored David Bowie and Alan Rickman and am honored to be part of this anthology.
How long have you participated in Nanowrimo and the community?
I did my first NaNoWriMo in November of 2012 when I wrote the first draft of P.A.W.S. It really helps me to have a community to write with and I still today am my most productive in NaNo months.
I also love the silliness of our group on FB. Too many of the other writing groups out there take themselves too seriously. We still of course have flouncers, but that’s all part of the entertainment!
Your story- is it part of a larger series or freestanding?
My story, The Big C, is a departure from my normal writing as it is a memoir. It chronicles a difficult time in my life when just after my father passed away I was diagnosed with breast cancer.
I don’t plan to write anymore about this. The story was very important to write and cathartic. I needed to get it out. When I was going through treatment I told very few people about my cancer. I didn’t like how people treated me if they knew. Now that I’m a survivor it’s different. I feel I can share and hopefully help others who are going through a similar experience.
If you could ever meet a fictional character, who would it be?
Sirius Black – I don’t think he really died when he went through that curtain. He’d take me for a ride on his flying motorcycle and then who knows!
Writing buddy?
My kitty – Miri Billie Joe!
Coffee, tea, or other?
I drink about a gallon of hot tea each day with milk. I like Tetley’s British Blend.
Morning or night person?
Left to my own devices I’d be a night person, but with kids I find that these days I’m more productive in the mornings.
Plotter or Pantser?
Pantser (mainly) – I enjoy seeing where my characters take me.
What question do you wish people would ask about you or your writing?
Anything really – I love answering questions from fans. Particularly enjoy the nitpicky ones about how the different kinds of magic work in my world or the origins of particular characters.
One fun fact?
When I’m not writing fiction I write puzzles for magazines and my website, Paws 4 Puzzles and have had crosswords published on the walls of a bagel restaurant, Eltana, in Seattle and on a mug made by the Unemployed Philosopher’s Guild.
Bio
Debbie Manber Kupfer has been writing stories ever since she was small, but only started taking her writing seriously in 2012 when she finished undergoing treatment for breast cancer. She realized that we only have a limited time on this earth and if we really are passionate about leaving our mark we have to go after what we want. To that end she started writing her fantasy series P.A.W.S., and the first book was published in 2013. Since then she has published book 2, Argentum, and has had stories published in a number of anthologies including Fauxpocalypse, Winter Wishes, Sins of the Past, Sins of the Future, Heroes & Villains and of course Stardust, Always. She also created the puzzle book, Paws 4 Logic together with her son, Joey. She believes that with enough tea and dark chocolate you can achieve anything! Connect with Debbie on her blog http://debbiemanberkupfer.wordpress.com/ or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DebbieManberKupferAuthor .

No comments:

Post a Comment